Monday, March 24, 2008

The First Post

March 24, 11:13pm.
11 days until my final University class.
22 days until my final University exam.
66 days until I get a piece of paper telling me that 5 years of University (and 5 years of high school and 10 years of elementary school) was worth something.

The name of my blog has to do with this new realization of mine. It really started to hit me at the beginning of this past summer when I was starting work again. Once most students leave school, they usually say that their jobs has little to nothing to do with what they actually studied in school. Even if a Civil Engineering student (like moi) went off to work for a Structural engineering firm, they would still only know 5-10% of the knowledge required to do their job.

What I have come to realize (I am finally getting to my point...) is that education is not necessarily about the actual knowledge gained. The knowledge isn't the end to itself, as it were. Learning is a means to an end, the end being the development of capabilities. The development of new skills. And it's those skills that I will be using. Not the knowledge, but the experience.

Took me 4 years of University to finally figure that out, but hey, better late than never.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, most of those numbers are multiple of 11!

But seriously, yes, most of what you learn in University will not apply to the workplace, unless you become a professor.

However, University does a lot more than that... learning to work in groups, keeping schedules and always learning new things are perhaps some of the more important skills.

Unknown said...

It's true, being at the top of your class or definitely doesn't make a difference once you leave school. I'm sure it would have helped to pay for it but I wouldn't know anything about that!

Glad to hear Sci-o-Glen worked out well for you, even if you did abandon me in chem :P

What's your POA for after April?

Glen Arthur said...

Well, now that I am done my final exam... I'm just taking some time off. I worked my butt off this semester, both academically and in extracurriculars.

I'll throw up a post I wrote a couple of days ago, about my career (can I call it that yet?). I'll also gather my thoughts on the experience I had working the latest show for theatre, a very different one than all the other times.